All Scriptures quoted here are from The Holy Bible, New International Version
I know for me I need Him, and I couldn’t imagine living without Jesus as my Savior. So let’s take a look at what the Word of God says about it for you. In Romans 3:23 is says “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. ” That pretty much covers it for us, we are all sinners, it doesn’t matter how good we think we are, or how much we have done, it says ALL have sinned!
In Romans 6:23 it says “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” That means eternal separation from God, for eternity. In Romans 3:10 it says “As it is written: There is no one righteous, not even one;”telling us that outside of God there is no righteousness. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to spend eternity separated from God.
Now we know that we are sinners, and that the wages of sin is death, let’s see what God did for us, so we wouldn’t have to be separated from Him. First let’s take a look at John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” WOW God loved us so much that He sent His only Son to die for us. In John 14:6 it says ” Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” Here now we have the answer, Jesus is the way!
So what do you do next? The next thing is to confess your sins and He will forgive you. Take a look at these scriptures:
1) (1 John 1:9) “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
2) (Romans 10:9-10) (9) That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (10) For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
3) (Romans 5:8) But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
4) (Romans 10:13) “For, Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
Could it be that simple? Yes, just confess you are a sinner, and repent of your sins, and ask Jesus to forgive you of them, and believe with all your heart the God raised Him from the dead, then you will be saved. It also says EVERYONE, this means it doesn’t matter how bad of a person you have been in the past, all you have to do is follow these steps and Jesus is faithful and just to forgive you. You can see how great His love was for us, because He died for us while we were sinners.
There is nothing we can do on our own to be saved, it is a gift from God. We are told this in (Ephesians 2:8-9) (8)”For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—(9) not by works, so that no one can boast.” Look at (1 Peter 2:24) “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.” Jesus took our sins upon himself so we wouldn’t be punished for them. Once we were alienated from God and now we are reconciled to Him because of the Cross, look at (Colossians 1:21-22) (21) Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. (22) But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—
Now we know what we need to do to be saved, but it is a choice, we have to make the decision to serve the Lord. Once you have accepted Jesus as your savior, you will want to make some changes in your life, because you are a new creature in Christ as stated in (2 Corinthians 5:17) “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! ” This may mean not doing some of the things we have done in the past because we are not our own anymore as stated in (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) “(19)Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; (20) you were bought at a price.”
Ok to refresh our minds, you need to confess with your mouth that you are a sinner and ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins. Believe with all your heart that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. and that He died on a cross for your sins, and that He rose again, and now reigns in heaven with His Heavenly Father. We serve a risen Savior!
If you are not quite sure how to pray, or what to say, I’m going to give you a prayer to read, and while reading it, make it your prayer and believe it with all your heart and you will be saved!
Dear Jesus I come to you right now, I confess that I am a sinner, and that I am lost without you. I believe with all my heart that you are the Son of God, and that you hung upon a cross and shed your blood, and died for me. I believe you rose from the dead and that you are a living Savior. Forgive me of my sins and come into my heart Lord Jesus.I ask you into my life to be my Lord and Savior and Friend. Thank you for forgiving me and giving me eternal life. In Jesus name AMEN.
If you prayed this prayer and meant it, you can be sure that God has forgiven you and made you a part of his family!
As a new Christian, there are a few steps you should take to build your relationship with Jesus.
1. Find a local Church, a good Bible-believing church, where you can further your relationship with Him. Meet some other Christian brothers and sisters who can help support you as a new believer.
2. Try to read the Bible on a daily basis. God speaks to us through His word. It is the road map for us Christians, showing us the way to live. You might want to start with the New Testament.
3. Try and take some time each day to pray, (talk to God). Bring your troubles and problems to God because He loves you. Be thankful for what He has done for you, and ask Him for strength and guidance each day.